How far from default will we have to go this year?

mike24forever

How far from default will we have to go this year?

Post by mike24forever » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:21 am

As I get older, the more and more I find myself playing my sports games closer to default. I don't want to chase this ever moving goal of adjusting sliders to get the game playing perfectly. This year in MLB The Show, I went with a few adjustment and I haven't looked back, and I've been enjoying myself and my season is approaching the All-Star break. "Slider-itis" is an honest to God thing and I am trying to avoid it like the plague. So, with Madden 19 I'm sticking with the same goal. I think that Madden 19 plays a great game "out of the box" and I'm looking at adjusting as few sliders as possible. Here is where I'm at:

All-Star Level - Simulation
15 minute quarters with 20 second minimum play clock
Game Play - Slow
All Game Helpers OFF
Injury at 20. Even at 20, I'm seeing a decent amount of injuries

All Penalties are at default at present.

Player Skill - everything default except tackling which is set to 45.
CPU Skill - everything default except the following.

QB Accuracy - 40
Run Blocking - 60
Tackling - 45

Special Teams - everything default except for FG Accuracy which is set at 40.

There you have it. These are in no way perfect, however at present they are playing good enough for me. I think that EA is really starting to dial Madden in nicely. I honestly do not want to chase the perfect gameplay that has ruined a few season of various sports games. I love PES and it's lack of sliders. That maybe because it plays a great game of soccer, except for penalties and I am hoping that this year they will have addressed them.

I'm not considering this a Slider Set. I'll save that for the Pro's. I'm posting these more as a jump off point for discussion about sliders and close to default sliders.

Mike Lowe

Re: How far from default will we have to go this year?

Post by Mike Lowe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am

Yes, I've been happy with default, but admitedly have not been tracking injuries much. Lowering tackling in the past has led to too many broken tackles compared to the simulated games.

My issues right now--and the reason why I plan to focus exclusively in our PS4 Madden league--are with the QB rushing yards and WR2 YPC. I mentioned last week too in a stream that not enough FGs were being kicked. All of these will be sorted out in a good h2h CFM.

But as a whole, I agree in that I'm hoping to not have to move around much. I use this approach with NBA 2K (I trust in Mike Wang @beluba), and it has really allowed me to spend my time just ENJOYING the game.

Having a jumping point even, like you've done here, can be helpful for folks. Nice work!
Be fulfilled. Be grateful. Be good to one another.
@MikeLowe47 @SimSportsGamin9
Website | YouTube | Discord

Billy4NY

Post by Billy4NY » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm

A good case of "slider-itis" will ruin any gaming experience. I can relate to your post as I have been in those positions where I am constantly trying to adjust sliders to reach to gameplay, and often enough I find myself doing this after each and every game, which is not enough of sample size. the struggle is an emotional battle between striving for the PERFECT sim gaming experience and still remembering that you paid ~$60 for the game and you should be enjoying it.

For Madden, I try to avoid the "slider-itis" effect as much as possible. I usually start with: All-Madden; 15 minutes quarters; Accel. Clock down to 18; with no slider adjustments initially. After 2 full games played I will adjust injuries and penalties as needed, and will even adjust my quarter length or accel. clock to try to get a more accurate play count per team.

Then, I don't touch any of the CPU or User Skill Sliders until I have played 4 full games. After 4 games against opponents of varying skill levels I will start to tweak the skill sliders. This is not to strive for the PERFECT gaming experience but is prevent things like my defensive linemen getting 20 sacks each or my run defence allowing 250 yards a game. By the end of my first season, I have a slightly tweaked set of sliders that make the gameplay experience FUN! You can see that is what matters most to me.

All in all, I think everyone's sliders should be different. The important thing is are you having fun with the product that you spent your money on? We all expect different things out of our gameplay experiences so how can we expect to use the same settings and configurations. Thanks for posting your initial thoughts on the sliders, especially the injury one. I hope my thoughts here have helped as well.

mike24forever

Post by mike24forever » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:13 pm

I’m planning on playing a bit this weekend. I’m not changing anything until after a few patches. I’m relatively happy with the game right now. Also, I will read a lot of other slider threads to research where people minds are at. Everyone has such different views of what should or should not changed and I like to find things from different slider guys and add it to my games.

mike24forever

Post by mike24forever » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:23 pm

New roster update, so I’ll start my Bill franchise and later on in the fall I’ll start my Steelers franchise. For my Steelers franchise I’ll be using Ridin’s draft class.
I am the lesson after the fall.

Mike Lowe

Post by Mike Lowe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:39 pm

It's a really good suggestion to see what other folks are using and experience. I do this a lot with my MLB The Show sliders--I love when people are on my streams sharing their experiences. It helps me out a lot.

I also plan to use Ridin's draft classes in my solo league. I'm not sure they are an ideal fit in an online CFM with 32 guys who could easily just load it up for a free preview. Otherwise, I'd 100% be using them everywhere.

mike24forever

Post by mike24forever » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Using them for a 32 guy CFM is not a good idea. I was in a league where they used them and owners just downloaded them and looked at who turned out to be the best rookies. It was then scrapped after that. No matter how SIM guys say they are, some will cheat. Unfortunately some guys want to win at all cost. It's why I only play offline by myself. The OSFM league I played in was legitimate sim, other places not so much. It's a lot of fun but I had a very bad experience with APF 2K8 and it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope the SimSportsGaming is fun for all those involved. Good luck gentlemen.

Mike Lowe

Post by Mike Lowe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Precisely why I plan to only use Ridin's great work in my solo league.

mike24forever

Post by mike24forever » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 am

I’ve dropped tackling to 40 and may drop it down to 35. Some slider guru’s are saying they are testing a 0 tackling slider.

Mike Lowe

Post by Mike Lowe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 am

Just watch your broken tackles. A lot of slider "gurus" go off of feel and don't actually track stats of played games and how they compare against simulated ones.

Return to “Sliders”